Saturday, January 16, 2010

New Year Trick-or-Treaters

On January 13th, Ukrainians celebrate the ancient New Year. Again, they come out and visit houses to say their poems for treats or money. Let me explain money....they are expecting COINS! Not bills.

On that night, we had three girls come to visit and recite their poem. We had no chocolate or fruit, so Zenon looked for some money. All he had were bills. The smallest denomination was a fiver (62 and a half cents). We gave each a five. One snatched it out of my hand so fast I almost got a paper cut.

Two minutes later, three boys show up at the door. They said something in Russian and I said I didn't understand. "Give me money." In English, just like that.

I said, "I don't have any money," and shut the door.

Humm? Maybe we are giving out too much money. Two seconds later, another ring at our door. Voss was in the bathroom freaking out about something so I decided not to answer. Note to self...Do not give trick-or-treaters any more than one coin.

Russian Poem


5 grevina for the person who can translate.

And it is called a "New Year Tree" not a Christmas tree here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally got to read all your adventures. Im running the computer' It's so much fun to read and see your pictures. Take care of yourselves. Bessel misses Voss. I can"t wait till your home.Love you all. Mom Wilk

Lesya said...

I can translate the first line of the poem. It goes something like this...
"There once was a man from Nantucket..."

The Issels said...

Lesya, your the best!