Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday Update

We have come to terms with everything. Better yet, Ruslan was not upset with the news. It was actually excellent timing bringing the gifts (report in a later blog) to the orphanage with us. Ruslan was happy to to have his family bring things to the orphanage. He was telling the kids that we have to finish some paperwork and he will be leaving in about a month.

Here is where we are now. Tonight we ride the overnight from Melitopol to Kiev. This was already booked on friday before we heard the news. Our return ticket was cancelled. We fly out of Kiev Wednesday morning at 7 a.m. on our way back to San Diego. Tomorrow is a packed day. We start with signing the paperwork at the american consulate so that I can complete the adoption process as a Canadian. We also go to our good friends at the SDA and ensure our paperwork for the interpol clearance is signed and submitted. Right after that we take a 3 hr ride to Cherkassy to visit Voss's old orphanage. 3 hours back to Kiev to the apartment and prepare to leave at 4 a.m. the next morning to the airport.

How did this happen? Well we had been receiving emails from the consulate on a new interpol requirement to be implemented for any NEW dossiers submitted after Feb 1st. Somehow the Ukrainian government instituted this requirement early AND included all prior submitted applications. We have since talked to a few people and with DIMA and have attempted to understand if there is a way around this. He has assurred us that there is not. ....until we made him disucss the situation today with the SDA. Apparently they will be discussing how this is affecting current adopting families and will issue an official statement later today. It is possible, although remotely, that current dossiers may be allowed to continue without this requirement. We keep our fingers crossed, and ask for your prayers, in hoping for good news. With that being said we are all packed and ready to leave tonight.

One last note. The previously communicated 40 days may in actuality be only 10 days. All rumors and speculation so we will see how the chips fall.

So please don't worry that we are not ok. We are. ...although I am not sure Voss would like to hear the news if we are going to stay here any longer past Wednesday ;-).

9 comments:

Lesya said...

<3

Marla said...

glad to hear you are ok and things are going to work out in the end. Safe travels home!

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you, and have a gut feeling that you may be staying longer. This would be the ideal scenario for you, as you have come this far, and you deserve to come home with BOTH your sons. Don't give up hope. We're really interested in Voss' reaction, when he visits his old orphanage. Hope you can video. WE ARE PRAYING HARD! Love, Mom and Dad (Baba and Dido)

Anonymous said...

What did Lesya say?

Biermann Family said...

Kari's and my thoughts and prayers are with all four of you... those are two VERY lucky boys - to have parents with the hearts you have, and the patience and persistence to boot. Looking forward to the update!

Anonymous said...

Yes, we were just about to DHL our documents to Kiev and had to get a Petition Re: Interpol. Its MAD the way they just expect families to wait around because of ANOTHER law they bring in!! Brings back memories of us all waiting around Kiev last time for a new Passport Form they brought in for Voss and Alex. Tell us how you got on in Cherkassy... M.M.&A.Burke, Ireland

brianna said...

You guys are really exhibiting love and patience. I will continue to pray that things work out smoothly for you four.

Anonymous said...

How many more ups and downs are there going to be for you. Maybe this is their way of testing all adoptive families to see what you are made of. Just be calm, regroup and continue on your way. They say 'patience is golden' Am praying for you all. Joanne

Anonymous said...

Hope you don't mind us posting on your blog. My name is Suzanne and it appears we are in the same mess as you with this new Interpol requirement. We are adopting in Kirovograd and should be home with our son but instead, we had to return home (Houston) without him and are wondering what our next steps should be. Would be intereted in talking if you have time (281)370-1067.