Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Does anyone else love researching how things work or where they came from as much as I do?

Traditional Ukrainian names:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~polwgw/namelist.html#ukrainian

I was also curious about the history and involvement of my grandfather in World War II. I remember him saying that he was in the german army but it was confusing to me. How could he be in the german army in WWII? ...wouldn't that mean he was fighting with the Germans? The following sheds plenty of light on it:

http://www.infoukes.com/history/ww2/page-21.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

It's 2 - 1/2 weeks to go now. We have an appartment set-up for when we arrive in Kyiv which is great. I got the tip on this appt through my sister's doctor in Toronto who put me in touch with a woman he knows, etc, etc....
I tried calling the owner in Ukraine thinking maybe she would speak english, or just maybe I could carry on a conversation in Ukrainian. Sure enough she answered when I called and spoke Ukrainian, great. The problem is that after saying hello I blanked and couldn't speak anymore, so I hung up. My mom came to the rescue and called her back and arranged everything for us. Turns out the woman will even cook us perogies every night! We'll only be there for 4-5 nights to begin with, then off to where-ever the children may be in Ukraine.

We'll keep you posted as we move forward.

Zenon and Cindy.

No comments: